Die Foren-SW läuft ohne erkennbare Probleme. Sollte doch etwas nicht funktionieren, bitte gerne hier jederzeit melden und wir kümmern uns zeitnah darum. Danke!

Evaluating Free ESXi results in using Hyper V later

Anything goes ;)

Moderatoren: irix, Dayworker

UNSTERBLICH(R.I.P.)

Beitragvon continuum » 27.01.2011, 20:38

Ich habe dies gerade im VMTN gepostet und wollte mal hoeren was ihr darueber denkt ...

I often repair snapshot problems and similar issues for folks using the Free ESXi.
Lately I found that often this folks rather switch to HyperV then to a normal ESXi.

I doubt that this is what VMware wanted to acchieve with giving away a restricted ESXi for free.

The problem I see is that the Free ESXi does not allow to use the same administrative tools like the regular ESXi does.

If a new user investigates backup solutions for example he will run against walls.

As long everything runs fine ok - but if a new user runs into problems handling the Free ESXi is way harder then with a regular ESXi.

In my opinion VMware should re-consider the way the Free ESXi is restriicted.

Blocking all 3rd party management tools IMHO is unwise. A new user should evaluate Free ESXi and think: Wow - performance rocks and it is easy to administrate - even when something goes wrong.
Now I see that new users think " Wow - performance is good but handling problems is a night mare. I better stick to HyperV - there I can backup VMs by simply copying the VM-files from one NTFS to another disk with NTFS ...

So my suggestion would be: instead of blocking the APIs and so preventing all 3rd party management tools restrict the Free ESXi in a way that does not make administration harder then necessary.

This could be limiting the amount of RAM or CPUs that can be assigned to a VM. Lets say Free ESXi only runs VMs with upto 3Gb of VRAM and max 1 vCPU.
Or restrict Free ESXi so it can run max 3 VMs at the same time.

I am pretty sure 3rd party backuptool vendors would quickly jump on the train and offer lite-versions of their tools as well.

Obviously the only reason to give something away for free is the hope that users try it and want more after a short time.
To acchieve that the free giveaway should be as easy to use as the full version.

Free ESXi as it is now is more a tool for folks that do not want to spend money for it AND are willing to learn how to use it inspite of the restrictions.

Well you may argue that the 60 days trial would give users enough time to see the real deal in action.
But interestingly I see that many users who download the trial do not even use this time period and instead apply the free license which then activates the restrictions right from the start.

well just my 2 cents ...

Summary: I think restricting the functionality in such a radical way is unwise - restricting the amount of VMs or the amount of resources a VM can use would be more clever.

Comments welcome

Ulli

Beitragvon Tschoergez » 27.01.2011, 21:37

ich bin mal so frei, direkt nen link zu setzen:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1687807

Meine Meinung tat ich auch schon kund... :grin:

Grüße,
Jörg

Experte

Beitragvon McStarfighter » 27.01.2011, 22:06

Nur so nebenbei: "Frickeln" lautet im Englischen "to tinker" oder "to fiddle (around)" ... ;)

Beitragvon elgato319 » 28.01.2011, 14:32

Ein interressanter Einwand.

Bisher habe ich ja als Kunde drei Möglichkeiten:
- VMware ESXi free
- XenServer
- Hyper-V

"Am besten soll es nichts kosten"

Alle drei kommen mit ziemlich identischen Fähigkeiten.

Ich denke das Snapshots, sowie unlimitierte Anzahl an VMs und keine Einschränkung was die VMs angeht zum Standard gehören sollte. Wenn ich dann noch eine API nutzen kann die es mir ermöglicht z.b. das Backup einfach zu halten: prima

Bin ich dann als Kunde zufrieden mit dem ersten Server für die Virtualisierung wird auchmal schnell etwas mehr investiert. Sprich 2. und 3. Server, Storgage usw.

Je komplexer die Umgebung desto schwieriger lässt das das ganze über eine "Free"-Version managen. Und ich glaube genau ab diesem Punkt ist man als Kunde auch bereit Geld für Lizenzen in die Hand zu nehmen.

Fazit:

Ich wäre auch dafür die API wieder komplett frei zu geben aber alles weitere zu belassen wie es jetzt ist. Wer ernsthaft Enterprise Features nutzen möchte (vMotion, HA, etc.) ist auch idR Bereit dafür Geld auszugeben.

Zurück zu „Allgemeines, Feedback & Smalltalk“